Introducing climate change mitigation and adaption and promoting key competencies
CLIMES has two main objectives: It will develop a systematic approach to introduce the topic of climate change mitigation and adaptation in European schools all by promoting key competencies in innovative learning environments.
More concretely, CLIMES aims at:
- developing a concept to tackle the issue of climate change and climate change adaptation;
- reducing the “climate footprint” in European schools;
- combining climate change adaptation with the JEM! Environmental Management Approach;
- improving social and civic competences of European pupils.
For this purpose the following activities are being set up:
- Creating an overview of the current situation in curricular and extracurricular activities as far as climate change is concerned in the participating member states;
- Developing and piloting the CLIMES Management System for climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Implementing innovative didactic approaches (blended learning, best practice models, European exchange among pupils and teachers);
- Integrating climate change adaptation with the environmental management approach developed in the framework of JEM!;
- Evaluating transversal key competences with the help of an innovative evaluation method LEVEL5 for non-formal and informal learning;
- Disseminating project results in a large scale European conference;
- Establishing a European network involving relevant stakeholders (interdisciplinary and transnational work of students, teachers and other educational stakeholders).